Saturday, February 6, 2010

Bellydancing


Although everyone holds their own beliefs and misbeliefs about Bellydance, I can say, as a practictioner myself, it's a wonderfully expressive way to show joy, love, and appreciation for the music of the region. It's not as easy as you'd think and in my opinion, is a quite liberating activity for women. When I started dancing, I could barely look at myself in the mirror, now I'm comfortable dancing in a troupe. Personally, I find the most joy in folkdance (Hagallah, Assaya, Debkeh etc), but there are some beautiful forms, including tribal, one can study. I have had the opportunity and blessing to dance with some of the most talented women, particularly Faten Salama and to take in the oral history of the dance. I've attached some pictures from our show in December 2009. As you can see, it was beautiful and a wonderful experience. If you've never experienced a show, I would highly recommend going, if you're uncomfortable or skeptical, go with an open mind and enjoy the music, the joy and expressiveness of the dancer. She is an artist too.


(Asharah: from Washington Times)

(Assaya (cane) dance: Washington Times)

(Katrina with veil: Washington Times)

No comments:

Post a Comment